Community Arts Guild
The Community Arts Guild makes art of all sorts with people in East Scarborough: connecting people separated from each other because of distance, language, income, age, culture or ability; inviting everyone, including those who may not normally have the opportunity to participate; celebrating and discovering the traditions we all bring along; and building community through our art-making.
We work in partnership with local residents and other organizations in the neighbourhood to:
- Research, develop, create and produce art projects.
- Design art activities and projects that respond to the requests and interests of collaborating community members, artists, and partners.
- Share skills and develop arts practice amongst artists and community members through workshops, events, performances and celebrations.
- Make our art activities accessible by removing barriers to participation: providing activities free of cost, taking art activities into different locations, or helping with food, translation, transportation or childcare.
- Participate in training and mentorship opportunities and offer placements for learners in the arts and community building.
- Build and contribute to opportunities for people to come together through artmaking within our neighbourhood and beyond.
Our artwork is often performance-based, and we collaborate across disciplines and traditions, particularly exploring intersections of performance and design. We draw on theatre, puppetry, projection and shadow play, installation art (both indoors and out), playwriting, song writing, sound experimentation, culinary and textile arts, and film.
The Community Arts Guild is currently based at Cedar Ridge Creative Centre as part of the City of Toronto’s Arts Services Live Arts Hub. Come and visit us at the Gardener’s Cottage.
Parks we work in:
- Cedar Ridge Park
- Highland Creek Park
- Morningside Park
Things we do:
- community meals
- visual arts