Guidelines for safe, happy and fun park programming during COVID-19
August 28, 2020
It’s important that you review the rules and guidelines provided by your local public health authority (Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Gatineau, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax). These will contain the most up-to-date information relevant to your local context including current information on the numbers of people permitted at an outdoor event. Once you are familiar with these, here are some additional guidelines to help promote safety during park activities and events.
As a reminder:
- Practice physical distancing and maintain a 2 metre/6 foot distance from others when outdoors.
- Step aside or pass others quickly and courteously while on walking paths and trails.
- Wear a mask or face covering if it is difficult to maintain physical distance when outdoors.
- Cover your cough or sneeze into a tissue. Immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash or sanitize your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Wash your hands often before/after activities with soap and water for at least 15 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 70-90% alcohol concentration.
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth.
- Occasionally mistakes will be made. Be kind. Just try your best.
Here is a simple checklist that might be used by park leaders, volunteers and participants before any event: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/95f0-Survey-Screening-poster-TPH.pdf