Become a Ravine Champion
Our ravines are unique and lush landscapes that carry water, wildlife, and people throughout the city.
Get involved and connect your community with your local Toronto ravines by becoming an InTO the Ravines Champion. Team up with a partner and apply to the program to receive training about Toronto’s ravine system and to host one ravine event.
In 2022, InTO the Ravine Champions connected 252 community members to their ravines, with 28 of them visiting the ravines for the first time.
90% of community members found that they had a better understanding and connection to the ravines after attending InTO the Ravine Champions events.
“We appreciate and look forward to the opportunity in becoming InTO the Ravine Champions, putting a spotlight on the role ravines play in local conservation efforts, mental health, and being an active part of the communities it connects with.”
Tennesha Joseph and Nithursan Elamuhilan – InTO the Ravine Champions
InTO the Ravine Champions will:
- Learn about Toronto’s ravines by attending our three robust training sessions beginning May 31, 2023.
- Discover creative ways to engage your community and help others experience Toronto’s ravines.
- Host with your partner one online or in-person activity between June 30 and November 1, 2023 that meets all required public health guidelines.
Each Champion Team will receive:
- $500 towards event expenses.
- Training, ongoing coaching and support.
- Education about the ravines and access to inspiring public events.
- A connection to the Park People Network, resources, and micro-grant opportunities.
Selected applicants will participate with their partner and 18 other Champions in three interactive and robust training sessions:
- Two online sessions on Wednesday, May 31 and June 7, 2023, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
- One in-person session on June 22, 2023, from 10:00 to 11:00 am at Canoe Landing Community Center, during the Park People Conference.
The training sessions will cover the following topics: Introduction to our Ravines, Engagement & Event Planning in the Ravines, and Ravines’ Indigenous History & Perspectives.
In between training and while planning your event, you will have opportunities to connect and learn about what your ravine has to offer!
The training will be led in partnership with the City of Toronto, Urban Forestry.
We’re looking for applicants who live near Toronto’s ravines and yet are new to their history and significance.
Each applicant should apply with a partner with whom they will be trained and host one event. Both members of the team will need to complete the application form.
How to check whether you live near a ravine?
“A ravine is a type of landform created over time by running water. They are larger than gullies and smaller than valleys. They may or may not contain streams.” (p.6 of Ravine Strategy).
Explore Toronto’s Interactive Map and select the filter for Administrative Boundary -> Ravine and Nature Feature Protection By-Law.
Apply by May 1, 2023! Spots are limited.
InTO the Ravines is a program in partnership with the City of Toronto