Become a Ravine Champion
Our ravines are unique and lush landscapes that carry water, wildlife, and people throughout the city.
You and your partner can help connect and share Toronto’s ravines with your community by applying to become an InTO the Ravines Community Champion.
In 2020, InTO the Ravine Community Champions connected 66 community members to their ravines, with 18 of these members visiting the ravines for the first time.
90% of community members found that they had a better understanding and connection to the ravines after attending InTO the Ravine Community Champions events.
“I was proud to have been the one to introduce a young mother and her two children to the ravine for the first time.”
Sharon Glaves – InTO the Ravine Community Champion
Apply by March 1, 2021
InTO the Ravine Champions will:
- Learn about Toronto’s ravines by attending our four robust online training sessions in April.
- Discover creative ways to engage your community and help others experience Toronto’s ravines.
- Host with your partner one online or in-person activity between June and October 31st, 2021 that meets all required public health guidelines.
Each Champion Team Will Receive:
- $500 towards event expenses.
- Training and ongoing coaching and support.
- Education about the ravines and access to inspiring public events.
- A connection to the Park People Network, resources, and micro-grant opportunities.
- An opportunity to make a difference in your community.
Selected applicants will participate with their partner and 18 other Champions in interactive and robust online training sessions in the month of April, Wednesdays from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Topics covered:
- Introduction to our Ravines,
- Ravines: Indigenous History & Perspectives,
- Ravine Activation Ideas,
- Engagement & Event Planning in the Ravines.
In between training and while planning your event you will have opportunities to connect and learn about what your ravine has to offer!
Training partners include the City of Toronto, Natural Environment and Community Programs unit of Urban Forestry and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA).
We’re looking for candidates who live near Toronto’s ravines and yet are new to their history and significance.
Champions should apply with a partner with whom they will be trained and host one event.
How to check whether you live near a ravine?
“A ravine is a type of landform created over time by running water. They are larger than gullies and smaller than valleys. They may or may not contain streams.” (p.6 of Ravine Strategy).
Explore Toronto’s Interactive Map and select the filter for Administrative Boundary -> Ravine and Nature Feature Protection By-Law.
Both partners should complete the application form or reach out to Cindy at email@example.com or (416) 583-5776 by March 1, 2021.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Spots are limited.
InTO the Ravines is a program in partnership with the City of Toronto