Park People supports and mobilizes people to help them activate the power of parks to improve the quality of life in cities across Canada.
We support a Canadian network of park people by sharing knowledge, connections and funding that bolsters their awesome work in parks. We also mobilize Canadians by highlighting the insights, policies and practices that help city parks meet their full potential.
Join us and make awesome things happen in city parks.
In this role, you will co-lead Park People’s programs through the next exciting phase of growth, working with partners to deliver new and expanded programs. You will play an important leadership role as Park People emerges as a key agent for city building and positive change in cities across Canada. As a senior member of the team, you will supervise and coach a growing team of 3-5 staff delivering programs on the ground in the Greater Toronto Area and across Canada, in both French and English. If you are a collaborative thinker who thrives in a fast-paced growing entrepreneurial environment and wants to make your mark playing a role in shaping an organization at the forefront of city building in Canada, we can offer you a rewarding and fun place to work.
As Program Manager, your role will include:
- Building and leading a healthy team culture of collaboration, accountability and ongoing learning; ensure the team is working in an integrated and mutually-supportive environment; ensure roles have clear responsibilities and effective work processes and that projects are delivered effectively.
- Promote continuous learning and development through performance management and ongoing coaching, mentoring and skill-building for direct reports. Supporting your team members in doing new things, taking on new responsibilities and honing their skills.
- Interviewing and selecting staff, orienting, training, and coaching team members; ensuring Health and Safety protocols are in place for the team..
- Building and collaborating with remote teams based in other cities. Keeping team members connected and work moving forward across a distributed team. Following best practices and continually improving capacity across the team to collaborate remotely.
Program Management and Planning:
- Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, Managing Director and co-lead Program Manager, to set long and short-term priorities, and staffing and budget plans to meet goals
- In tandem with the Managing Director and co-lead Program Manager, overseeing the strategic program and partnership development for Park People’s programs and projects
- Ensuring the program team is participating in ongoing program development through evaluation, monitoring and learning
- Ensure the projects and programs are integrated and supporting the organization’s mission and values
- Responsibility for the development and oversight of program budgets including quarterly reviews
Fundraising and Program Development:
- Developing sustainable programs with diverse funding sources
- Working with partner organizations to submit collaborative proposals
- Maintaining positive relationships with funders, including submitting timely reports and attending funder events
- Building program partnership opportunities, including initial relationship development to project development to contract negotiations
The skills and experience you bring to the role include:
- 3-5 years of experience in management roles and leading a multi-person staff team
- Strong people management and leadership skills including delegation, project management, prioritization, strengths-based coaching and mentoring.
- An effective promoter of people who understands the importance of developing the skills, knowledge and abilities of direct reports; manages work, project plans and outcomes effectively
- Demonstrated understanding of budgeting, forecasting and analysis of budget vs. actual expenditures
- Bilingualism would be a very strong asset for the role – but under special circumstances, we would consider strong Anglophone applicants. Please be clear about your English and French language skills in your application
- A cross-Canada perspective: Demonstrated capacity to plan and operate programs in multiple jurisdictions, taking into account different cultural, linguistic and regulatory contexts
- Demonstrated fundraising experience including proposal and report writing and relationship management
- Understanding program design and impact
- Analytical and written skills, including the effective design and compelling description of programs
- Ability to identify potential partners and strengthening existing relationships, representing the organization with programming partners and funders and providing leadership to collaborative initiatives
As a leader, you demonstrate personal and professional competencies including:
- Getting Work Done Through Others — an effective promoter of people who understands the importance of developing the skills, knowledge and abilities of direct reports; manages work, project plans and outcomes effectively
- Personal Maturity — possess a high degree of self-awareness; open to continuous self-improvement; manage and perform well during times of ambiguity, stress and growth
- Courageous Conversations – willing to deal with trouble by addressing challenges and issues with partners and staff quickly and effectively
- Making Complex Decisions — ability to make decisions in a timely fashion using data, seeking input, thinking creatively; able to apply critical thinking before making significant decisions
- Salary Range: $60,000-65,000
- Anticipated start date: Summer 2020 or earlier
- This position is permanent, but flexible-we are open to either full time or a four day/ week depending on what works best for the candidate.
- The role could be based in either Toronto or Montreal
Park People is a great place to work:
- We offer a generous benefits package including health and dental benefits, annual cost of living increases and a pension plan.
- An amazing work culture with smart, engaged colleagues who want to learn and improve while having fun.
- We have casual and collegial working environments in Toronto (at a beautiful space at 401 Richmond St which offers on-site childcare and in Montreal (in Espace Temps Libre, a coworking cooperative in the heart of Mile End). We value flexibility and work-life balance for our team members, offer generous vacation time, flexible work hours and telecommuting options.
- Opportunities to get involved in new areas and grow professionally and progressive career opportunities as Park People continues to grow.
- Time and funding to support education and training, including regular staff field trip days to explore cool things happening across the city.
- A chance to lead change and have an impact in communities across Canada.
If you would like to make a meaningful contribution to cities across Canada while working with a dynamic, results-driven group, please send your resume and cover letter in one electronic file in confidence by Sunday, April 19, 2020, to email@example.com.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.